- The programme shall take a minimum of three academic years and a maximum of five academic years.
- The programme shall be offered by course work, research, examination and a thesis.
- The programme shall consist of eight (8) compulsory taught course units and a thesis.
- A course unit shall be defined as 60 instructional hours consisting of lectures, seminars, term papers and guided research work.
- The research component of the programme shall be equivalent to 1080 Hours.
- A candidate shall carry out supervised thesis research, for a minimum period of two academic years, and a maximum of four academic years, culminating in a Doctoral thesis.
- The PhD coursework shall consist of eight examinable courses, among which five are core courses and three are electives per the theme. For successful completion of coursework, a candidate must pass all the core and theme courses.
Minimum admission requirements
- The common regulations for admission requirements for PhD in the University of Nairobi shall apply.
- To be deemed eligible for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy in Dryland Resource Management, the applicant must be a holder of a Master of Science degree in agricultural-related disciplines, biological sciences, and environmental sciences or in natural resource management or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Senate University of Nairobi
- Holders of Master’s degrees in relevant social sciences recommended by the faculty Academic Committee and approved by the Senate.
Credit transfer and exemptions
There shall be no credit transfer for this programme.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN DRYLAND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT - ALR 81|
|Year I||Year 2||Year 3||Totals|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||10,000.00||-||-||10,000.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||7,000.00||7,000.00||21,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00||5,000.00||5,000.00||15,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||4,500.00||4,500.00||4,500.00||13,500.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00||-||-||5,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||6,500.00||6,500.00||19,500.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||2,000.00||2,000.00||6,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|
The programme will adopt a face-to-face mode of delivery based on various techniques that include lectures, seminars, case-based learning and tutorials.
Open and distance learning mode
The programme will be offered using a multi-media approach that includes self-instructional print and electronic study materials. The ODeL mode of delivery shall apply to the taught course units, except the Graduate Seminars.
Blended learning mode
The blended learning mode of delivery will be through e-Learning that combines minimal face-to-face and online learning approaches. Online lectures will be conducted both synchronously and asynchronously.
Prof. Moses Nyangito
Contact Chairman, LARMAT at: firstname.lastname@example.org