Today, 27th September, 2021 about 20 students from the Faculty of Agriculture drawn from 3 teaching departments (LARMAT, FSNT,& Agric Economics), & Dept of Environmental Biosystems engineering have started off an intensive “Agro-ecology and Agro-biodiversity Training Course (AATC)” which will last for 3 and ½ weeks. The training will expose the participants to the principles and practices of Agroecology, agrobiodiversity and their applications in real life situations. The students will also have a chance to interact and work with practitioners, researchers, policy makers among other actors in the agricultural sectors. The training is taking place at the LARMAT seminar room and is funded by Biovision foundation. The Project is coordinated by Prof. Richard Onwonga (Chairman LARMAT). Among the participants, 6 are from the department of LARMAT.
The instructors of the three week are:
- Dr. Celine Termote- Alliance of Biodiversity International and CIAT in Nairobi, Kenya.
- David Ngari Nyaga- Programs Manager and the Deputy Director at Resources Oriented Development Initiatives (RODI-Kenya).
- Emmanuel Atamba Oriedo- farming systems expert is involved in research, advocacy, development and execution of different agri-food projects.
- Dr. Janeth Chepkemoi- expert in the field of organic agriculture, rangeland ecosystems and greenhouse gas emission avoidance, reduction, and mitigation.
- Dr. Martin Oulu- researcher and lecturer at the Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Nairobi.
- Noel Templer- professional work focuses on the intersection between farmer socio-economic and agro ecology environments, household food and seed security, and public policy.
- Dr. Robert Mbeche- Senior Lecturer at the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Wanjiru Kamau- agriculture specialist agriculture specialist horticulture within a natural resources’ conservation context.
- Prof. Richard Onwonga - Chairman Department of LARMAT and specialist in soil agroecology/Soil fertility and expert in farming system analysis.